The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Friday 28 January 2011

Pollentia (Alcudia)

POLLENTIA (Alcudia), ancient Hispania Tarraconensis, modern Spain.

COORDINATES: 39º50’50.54” N // 3º07’34.62” E
TIPOLOGY : Roman theatre. Urban?
DATE:  I A.D. (maybe Julio-Claudian)
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 650 - 800 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing south. Cut in the rock. 31 m. diameter survives but it was bigger. maenianumIma cavea: 10 rows of seats in 4 cunei (extreme two are a little bigger than the two of the middle). Summa cavea: maybe it was built on wood, there are some holes that make that hypothesis.
ORCHESTRA: 16 m. diameter, surronded by bisellia (three rows).
STAGE BUILDING: There are foundation remains and some holes maybe for aulaeum.
LOCATION: 600 m. south of town, in archeological park close to Alcudia, in the north-east of Mallorca island.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE: Sear, Frank; “Roman theatres: an architectural study”. Oxford University Press, 2006. // Ciancio Rossetto, Paola; Giuseppina Pisani Sartorio (eds); Teatri Greci e Romani: alle origini del linguaggio rappresentato. Rome: SEAT, 1995. // “Jornadas sobre teatros romanos en Hispania” Córdoba, 2006.




OUT OF PRINT: I visited Pollentia´s ancient theatre one morning, I had the feeling of being in a private garden, that´s because Alcudia´s archeological park is an old private fields. I imagined in the stone remains ancient actors giving life to that poor skeleton. With Pollentia I lived something that I haven´t in anorther ancient theatres, after I visited it in october 2008 I had to act, the same day, but not in it, in fact  in the “Teatro Municipal” in Palma de Mallorca city, 50 klm. far. Before going out to stage I remembered to have thought that if in 2.000 years somebody will feel a curiosity for the remains of “Teatro Municipal” like I I had that morning, visiting the ancient Pollentia´s Roman theatre... easy to explain... syntetic foam seats are not the same that  stone rows of seats... nobody will imagine me in 2.000 years.

1 comment: