The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Saturday 5 February 2011

Mylias (Kocaaliler)

MILYAS / MELLI (Kocaaliler), ancient Pisidia – Asia Minor, modern Turkey.


COORDINATES: 37º18’20.23” N // 30º45’02.35” E
TIPOLOGY : Greek theatre. Urban.
DATE:  Hellenistic.
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 1.000 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing north-east. Carved on rock. Only one maeniana, 13 rows of seats in 5 cunei.
ORCHESTRA:
STAGE BUILDING: Wall of stage buildibg survives in good condition, not excavated yet.
LOCATION: Ancient Milyas is 2 klm. south-east from modern village of Kocaaliler, up in a mountain. The theatre is not easy to find because the ancient city is under vegetation. Kocaaliler is 50 klm. north from Antalya.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE: Yilmaz, Yasar; “Anadolu Antik Tiyatrolari”. Istanbul, Yem Yanin, 2010.




OUT OF PRINT: The evening I arrive Milyas was rainig. I did not know exactly the position of the ancient theatre, only the hill were it was the Greek town. Walking through the remains was dificult, the old city was covered by bushes and a lot of rolling stones under them made my ankles very fragile and sore. I was more than one hour touring the hill but did not find the theatre. When I dicided to turn back beacuse the day was getting dark I saw a man in a high cliff. I said him “Merhaba, tiyatro” and he signed me behind him. I followed him and I could discover the theatre hidden among the rocks, the show was wonderful, a theatre tucked into the rock´s embrace. The turkish man was the guard of the archeological remains, in every ancient turkish city there are a guard, they do not spend the day in the remains, the archeological place usually is open-air, no supervision... well that seems to be but the guards always appear, you do not know how but they appear... a real mistery, in the middle of nothing... but they are there... and that time great for me... he showed me the theatre, a really hypnotic place; take notice of the landscape you can see from the cavea.

No comments:

Post a Comment