The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Saturday 13 August 2011

Cyaneae (Yavu Köy)

CYANEAE (Yavu Köy), ancient Lycia / Asia Minor, modern Turkey.

COORDINATES: 36º14’45.27’’N // 29º48’54.07’’E
TIPOLOGY: Greek theatre. Not urban.
DATE: Last III or first II B.C.
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 2.500 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing south.  55 m. diameter. Built against  low hill.  Exceeds semicircle.  Maeniana: Ima cavea with 10 rows of seats in 5 cunei; summa cavea with 14 rows of seats in 5 cunei.
ORCHESTRA: 14,5 m. diameter.
STAGE BUILDING: It was carved on rock and with rectangular shape. It has not been excavated, only some proscaenium remains are visible.
LOCATION: On a lower summit west of the ancient city. The theatre is on a hill up of modern little village of Yavu Köy, 60 klm. west from Kumluca.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE: Yilmaz, Yasar; “Anadolu Antik Tiyatrolari”. Istanbul, Yem Yanin, 2010. // Sear, Frank; “Roman theatres: an architectural study”. Oxford University Press, 2006. // Ciancio Rossetto, Paola; Giuseppina Pisani Sartorio (eds); “Teatri Greci e Romani: alle origini del linguaggio rappresentato”. Rome: SEAT, 1995. // Bean, George; “Lycian Turkey”. London, Ernst Benn, 1978.


OUT OF PRINT: First time I visited Cyaneae it was a storm winter day, it was all the day raining and cloudy, with a dense fog that covered the day with a spooky atmosphere. I knew the ancient theatre was up of the hill, but did not know the exact place. I started to climb awkwardly, I has lost the way and shrubs and bushes were my friends in my walk, soon my raincoat torned, I was walking around the fog about two hours, the fog was dense and I was soggy, that day I knew than even a good goretex boats finished soaking. When I was thinking about how to return because I was absolutely lost, the fog opened a little light window and an impressive greek theatre appeared... one of my favourites. I came back to Cyaneae in 2008, it was a clear day and it was easy to find the theatre... Cyaneae is like to take a walk by the moon, a place without words.

No comments:

Post a Comment