The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Sunday 22 April 2012

Harpasa (Esenköy)


HARPASA (Esenköy), ancient Caria / Asia Minor, modern Turkey.

COORDINATES: About 37º46’12.56’’N / 28º21’03.79’’E
TIPOLOGY: Greek theatre. Not urban.
DATE: End of II B.C.
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 2.500 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing north-west.  58 m. diameter. Built against slope. It had about 30 rows of seats but only 8 are visible divided in 6 cunei. Upper rows of seat were rectilinear.
ORCHESTRA:
STAGE BUILDING:
LOCATION: It´s little below ancient Acropolis, in the hill close to modern Esenköy, 12 klm. south from modern Nazilli.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE: Yilmaz, Yasar; “Anadolu Antik Tiyatrolari”. Istanbul, Yem Yanin, 2010. // Sear, Frank; “Roman theatres: an architectural study”. Oxford University Press, 2006.


OUT OF PRINT: The day I visited Harpasa´s ancient theatre was a great exciting day for me. I proposed that day to visit three ancient theatres of which I never had been any picture and did not exactly where they were: Harpasa, Orthosa and Bargasa, so it was going to be a rainy day full of unknowns and adventure.  I started very early the day looking for Harpasa´s one, it was not difficult to find it, only an extended walk by the hill in Esenköy. After I drove to Donduran for find Orthosa´s Greek theater, that was quite difficult to find and I will tell when I do Orthosa´s review, I only will tell the wonderful experience drinking tea in Donduran’s cantina before being hours looking in the field for the little theatre remains; In the evening I drove to Haydere for finding Bargasa´s ancient theatre, I found the ancient city, spending hours, but I did not find the theatre although, like I could see in Yasar Yilmaz book, “Anadolu Antik Tiyatrolari”, I were walking on it, in the deep wood... anyway, another of the million reasons for returning to Turkey.

No comments:

Post a Comment