The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Sunday 1 May 2011

Bubon (Ibecik)

BUBON (Ibecik), ancient Lycia, modern Turkey.


COORDINATES: 36º58’05.06’’ N // 29º24’27.25 E (approximately)
TIPOLOGY : Probably Greek theatre. Urban.
DATE: An inscription from II A.D. has been found but the theatre is probably a Greek theatre.
TRANSFORMATIONS:
CAPACITY: 2.300 spectators.
CAVEA: Facing south. 49 m. diameter. Built against hillside. Maenianum. 22 rows of seats in 5 cunei. 6 radial stairs.
ORCHESTRA: I has not been excavated.
STAGE BUILDING: Covered.LOCATION: The ancient city of Bubon is 1280 m. above sea level, on a hill 1,8 klm. south-west from Ibecik, 30 klm. south-west from Gölhisar.
MY BESIDE TABLE: Yilmaz, Yasar; “Anadolu Antik Tiyatrolari”. Istanbul, Yem Yanin, 2010. // Bean, George; “Lycian Turkey”. London, Ernst Benn, 1978. // Sear, Frank; “Roman theatres: an architectural study”. Oxford University Press, 2006. // Ciancio Rossetto, Paola; Giuseppina Pisani Sartorio (eds); “Teatri Greci e Romani: alle origini del linguaggio rappresentato”. Rome: SEAT, 1995.




OUT OF PRINT: First time I wanted to visit Bubon it snowed too much and I did not any reference about the site, only some information in Bean´s book. Second time I had located the hill were the ruins are but did not have the exact point the theatre is. When I climbed the hill, not too much high from the road with a very high slope I realized I had forgotten in the car my note book, in it I had cavea´s orientation, a very good fact if you do not know the exact location of a theatre and you have to scrutinize an extensive rugged terrain. I refused to go down the hill for taking my note book... I do not know if it was or not a good decision because I spent two hours trying to find the theatre, something very common visiting hidden ancient theatres in Turkey if you do not have a GPS position, a healthy sport that knows how to reward the effort... when you find the theatre all this stupid feeling of having gone round in vain disappears for showing you a half-buried treasure... an ancient theatre. It is an indescribable feeling... my treasures, the silences of forgotten theatres.



No comments:

Post a Comment