The Silence Stages

Since 2005 I have been visiting more than 430 ancient greek and roman theatres around 18 countries, taking photographs and information. These blog is dedicated to all that experience.



Desde 2005 he visitado más de 430 teatros y odeones, griegos y romanos en 18 países, tomando fotografías y recopilando información. Este blog está dedicado a toda esta experiencia.



Monday 23 May 2011

Larissa (Larisa)

LARISSA (Larisa), ancient Thessaly / Macedonia, modern Greece.

COORDINATES: 39º38’24.92’’N // 22º24’43.73’’E
TIPOLOGY: Greek theatre. Urban. It´s the so call “second theatre” or “north theatre” or “small theatre”; in Larissa there are another Greek theatre.
DATE: I B.C. It was not finished.
TRANSFORMATIONS: Converted in open-air odeon in roman times.
CAPACITY:
CAVEA: Facing south-east. Bigger than semicircle. Unknown diameter. It has 13 cunei and the first two rows of seats are preserved.
ORCHESTRA: 29,7 m. diameter. It has an altar.
STAGE BUILDING: The scene building is 15,7 m. long.
LOCATION: North of modern town, in Velissariou street. 300 m west from big Greek theatre.
MY BEDSIDE TABLE: Sear, Frank; “Roman theatres: an architectural study”. Oxford University Press, 2006. // Ciancio Rossetto, Paola; Giuseppina Pisani Sartorio (eds); “Teatri Greci e Romani: alle origini del linguaggio rappresentato”. Rome: SEAT, 1995.


OUT OF PRINT: When I visited Larissa I lived in Spain in a small attic; when I opened the window and held out the wet clothes for drying up, I found always, in front of me, a big wall from a higher building. When I looked Larissa´s small Greek theatre I thought that it would be great to open the window and held out the clothes here... these ancient theatre is a popular courtyard theatre.

No comments:

Post a Comment